~Chrissy’s setting some goals and making the most of 2013~
In the many, many years I’ve been making New Years Resolutions, I can only successfully say I managed to follow through with one of them for an entire year. I only made one resultion that year. My goal was to find and prepare a new dish at least once a week for an entire year. In order to help motivate my way through this goal I began a food blog. The blog idea was what really helped me accomplish my goal for that year. The act of writing out each post and then hitting the publish button, gave me such a sense of triumph that I was actually really excited to make my self-made weekly deadlines! After the year was up and I reached my goal, I kind of sort of ditched my food blog and made other resolutions that I didn’t end up keeping. If you’re interested in checking out my adventure in cooking in 2010, you can find it at http://recipehunting101.blogspot.com
Needless to say even though my success rate isn’t very good, I’m bound and determined to carry out my resolutions this year. I’m even going to take from a lesson learned from my success in 2010 and post about my 2013 resolution adventures. I’ve decided to divide my resolutions for the year out into three key areas of focus: Mind, Body & Environment. In each area of focus, I’ve set some intial goals but I want to leave them broad, open-ended and fluid, so as the year goes by I’ll continue to set more and more goals in each area.
- Do something I normally would avoid doing. This is something I’m going to leave wide open for whenever the moment strikes.
- Write daily. Be it in a journal, a blog post, or that novel I’ve been wanting to write. Once a day, I am going to sit down for at least 10 minutes, to exercise my mind and write about something important to me.
- Learn something new. I’ve been wanting to learn how to crochet forever, so I plan on making the time to sit down with my Mom and have her teach me.
2. Body (aka.Health & Wellness):
- Improve my overall health. It’s extrememly broad, I know, but I’m breaking this down into two areas of focus: food & exercise.
- Food. I’ve already began my process for improving my health through food. I’m doing a 3-day juice cleanse, which works to allow your body to cleanse, detoxify and heal itself naturally from within. I promise to write a post about this whole experience of drinking only juice/water/tea for 3 whole days! I’m also planning to eat primarily organic foods and will resurrect my recipe posts here on Once Upon a Friendship by sharing healthy meatless monday recipes at lease twice a month!
- Exercise. Unfortunately, I have a very strong aversion to exercise but I understand the enormous benefits it has for our bodies, so I am resolved to up my exercise game plan. In one of my Pop Sugar Must Have Boxes (which if your interested in learning more about, I blogged about my love of these monthly subscription boxes here) I received “Mandy Ingber’s Yogalosophy” DVD. I have had it sitting unopened next to my TV for a couple of months now. Apparently Jennifer Aniston loves this yoga workout. That’s gotta mean I will too, right? 🙂
- Start a Garden. This ties in perfectly with my goal to eat healthy and organic foods. What could be better then to grow my own food? I’ll be honest and tell you I’m a tad scared about this resolution. In fact, it worries me the most out of all my other resolutions for the year. I have a hard enough time keeping houseplants alive, how am I going to manage to grow a garden? This could be very, very interesting but I’m up for the challenge!
Gosh, until I wrote them all out, I didn’t realize just how much I’ve decided to take on for the year! Wish me luck (I’m going to need it!)