~a mixed tape creation by Chrissy~
I know it dates me but I really loved mixed tapes. They were so thoughtful and took a heck of a lot of effort to make. The song quality wasn’t the greatest, and yet they were pretty darn amazing because they meant something meaningful. This was especially true if someone else made you your very own, one of a kind, mix. Those tapes truly made you feel gloriously special whenever you listened to it. Nowadays, with itunes and mp3’s, those mixed tape-like playlists have become a heck of a lot easier to make. We’ve all got our playlists now for working out, cleaning the house, or just plain rocking out!
On my way to my homeship Target this past weekend, I happened upon a song on the radio about best friends. The song was Oath by Cher Lloyd. It’s a cute, upbeat kind of song. I immediately thought of Alicia as I was bopping my head along with the beat. In between head bops, I got to thinking about making my own BFF playlist, filled with songs that make me think about all my best girlfriends! I’ll undoubtedly fill it up with an ungodly amount of songs over the days to come, as there are tons of songs out there that call to mind my amazing group of friends. For the sake of my post, I’ll just touch on a handful of my favorite songs to make my BFF list. You’ll probably notice I am heavily influenced by movies/tv. Ever since I was a girl, I’ve been introduced to many great songs from the movies and tv shows I watch. I’m a big fan of movie soundtracks!
1. Joe Cocker “With A Little Help of My Friends” – Originally a song by the Beatles, the Joe Cocker version was also the theme song for the “Wonder Years” tv show.
2. White Stripes “We’re Going to Be Friends” – What can I say about this song? It is pretty freaking awesome. If it sounds familiar but you can’t quite place why, it was part of the soundtrack for the movie Napoleon Dynamite. That’s just a wee bit of pop trivia for you!
3. Ben E King “Stand by Me” – A classic song, that withstands the test of time. It is also the theme to a movie by the same name. If you haven’t seen the movie, please rent it right now. It is such a great coming of age story about friendship. Love it!
4. Weezer “My Best Friend” – I was first introduced to Weezer when I heard “The Sweater Song” in college. What’s not to like about a song about sweaters? Absolutely nothing!!! I might have to put that one on a Winter Weather playlist. I’m veering off course a bit here. Anyhoo, “My Best Friend” very simply and sweetly, says it all.
4. Green Day “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” – The title doesn’t sound at all friendly, I know, but this song is one of my favorite songs of all time. Green Day just so happens to be one of my favorite groups of all time, too. To me, this song brings to mind memories of the good times shared with my friends/family/what have you. It is especially enduring to me because of a wedding gift I received from Alicia. She (with a lot of help from her brother Brian) made a photo slideshow of her and I growing up together, all set to music. “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” was one of the songs she used. I guess it was kind of like her mixed tape to me but with pictures! Whatever the case, it is one of my most favorite gifts, ever!!!
6. Natalie Merchant “Kind & Generous” – I told Alicia once that if she had a theme song, this would be hers. She is exactly who this song was written about! Everyone should have a person in there life who brings to mind this song and I think it should be your best friend! Love you girl!!!
7. They Might Be Giants “Birdhouse in Your Soul” – My friend, Becky first introduced me to They Might Be Giants. All their songs are very silly and whimsical. You can’t listen to them without smiling and laughing. “I’m a little glowing friend” Love that!
8. Bette Midler “Wind Beneath My Wings” – A song from the movie Beaches, which if you haven’t seen it is a beautifully touching story about two best friends. I’m might just cry thinking about this movie. Ahhh…..so sad. I have to warn you, if you click the link to the song have a box of tissues ready. You’re going to need them!
9. The Rembrandts “I’ll Be There For You” – This is probably one of the very first songs I thought of when making my playlist. “Friends” is my all time favorite tv show. I’ve probably watched every episode a zillion times. I could watch them a zillion more as they never get old. The Rembrandts song is now and forever ingrained in my head to symbolize my friends (Rachel, Ross, Monica, Chandler, Joey, Phoebe and my real friends, of course, too).
10. ABBA “Dancing Queen” – My BFF playlist would not be complete without this song. Dancing Queen is truly a beloved favorite in my group of girlfriends. If we are all together and this song comes on, I don’t think it’s possible for us all to not get up and hit the dance floor. We’re all glorious Dancing Queens!
*Image from Photobucket